top of page


Town Building Inspector

Chris Esplin

(435) 599-3706

Building permits are required for any type of building in the Town of Orderville. "No building or structure regulated by the current International Building Code shall be erected, constructed, enlarged, altered, repaired, moved, improved, removed, converted, or demolished unless a separate permit for each building has first been obtained from the building official."

You can now apply for permits and request inspections online!


Click the link below to register for an account and login.

Do I need a permit?


This list shows some of the projects that are required to be permitted by the Town of Orderville and the adopted codes in which are used. 


  • Water heater replacement

  • Meter base installation

  • Solar panel install

  • Replacing an old electrical panel

  • Furnace install/replacement

  • Accessory structures (non-habitable, without electrical or plumbing):

    • 120 sq. ft. no primary residence

    • 200 sq. ft. with primary residence

  • New residences:

    • When is engineering required in Kane County?

      • Trusses engineered

      • Residences at and above 70 LBS ground snow-load

        • If an application is submitted on a project that is not considered a "prescriptive" build, engineering may be required at any snow-load.

  • Commercial projects of all nature

    • All commercial projects require engineering

  • Garages

    • Trusses require engineering

  • Swimming pools

  • Fences over 7 ft. tall

  • Retaining walls over 4 ft. tall

  • Demolition

  • Signs

  • Remodels

    • Plumbing

    • Electrical

    • Moving/removing bearing walls

If you are unsure if a permit is required please feel free to contact our office and we will be happy to discuss your project further. View Zoning Map Here


       Certain documents, one copy each of which is on file in the town office, being marked and designated as the international building code               (IBC), international residential code (IRC), national electrical code (NEC), international plumbing code (IPC), international mechanical code           (IMC), international fire code (IFC), and all other building codes as adopted by the state, be and is hereby adopted as the building codes of           the county.



Utah Chapter of I.C.C. Mission Statement


The Utah Chapter of the International Conference of Building Officials is dedicated to promote public safety by providing education, training and support to its members.


The conference will work hand in hand with industry and the public for the enhancement of professionalism and uniformity in code enforcement and administration, to improve the safety of building construction in the State of Utah.


More information on the mission of the Utah Chapter I.C.C. can be found in links above or by going to


The Building Department follows the regulations provided by Utah Code 17-36-55.

We would like to encourage contractors and owner/builders alike to become familiar with these Utah Codes before submitting an application. If your application does not meet the requirements set forth in Utah Code Section 17-36-55 (8) (a) through (g) it will be rejected until it meets these requirements. This allows our department to conduct a thorough plan review of all required documentation to ensure that the application meets all County and State Codes and Regulations. If you have and questions, comments, or would like more information please get in touch with our department and we can discuss this further.

Utah Code Section 17-36-55 (8):

(8)For purposes of Subsection (3), a building permit application is complete if the application contains:

(a) the name, address, and contact information of:

     (i) the applicant; and

     (ii) the construction manager/general contractor, as defined in Section 63G-6a-103, for the construction project;

(b) a site plan for the construction project that:

     (i) is drawn to scale;

     (ii) includes a north arrow and legend; and

     (iii) provides specifications for the following:

          (A) lot size and dimensions;

          (B) setbacks and overhangs for setbacks;

          (C) easements;

          (D) property lines;

          (E) topographical details, if the slope of the lot is greater than 10%;

          (F) retaining walls;

          (G) hard surface areas;

          (H) curb and gutter elevations as indicated in the subdivision documents;

          (I) utilities, including water meter and sewer lateral location;

          (J) street names;

          (K) driveway locations;

          (L) defensible space provisions and elevations, if required by the Utah Wildland Urban Interface Code adopted under Section 15A-              2-103; and

          (M) the location of the nearest hydrant;

(c) construction plans and drawings, including:

     (i) elevations, only if the construction project is new construction;

     (ii) floor plans for each level, including the location and size of doors and windows;

     (iii) foundation, structural, and framing detail; and

     (iv) electrical, mechanical, and plumbing design;

(d) documentation of energy code compliance;

(e) structural calculations, except for trusses;

(f) a geotechnical report, including a slope stability evaluation and retaining wall design, if:

     (i) the slope of the lot is greater than 15%; and

     (ii) required by the county; and

(g) a statement indicating that actual construction will comply with applicable local ordinances and building codes.


(h) "Structural review" means:

     (i)a review that verifies that a construction project complies with the following:

          (A) footing size and bar placement;

          (B) foundation thickness and bar placement;

          (C) beam and header sizes;

          (D) nailing patterns;

          (E) bearing points;

          (F) structural member size and span; and

          (G) sheathing; or

     (ii) if the review exceeds the scope of the review described in Subsection (1)(h)(i), a review that a licensed               engineer conducts.

bottom of page